Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Published 9:00 AM by with 1 comment

Why Am I So Hated In My Own Country?



Why am I so hated in my own country? | Yes, We Rise


What is it about being black in America that makes us so hated? 


The past couple of weeks have been, for me, extremely draining emotionally. The tragic deaths of the #Emanuel9 and the subsequent arguments about the confederate flag have reminded me that so many of the citizens of this country are willfully ignorant about the history of slavery in this country.

They're not just uninformed. Being ignorant because you haven't been exposed to the truth is a sad thing but a fixable one. You just have to want to learn and then seek to find out things and accept what you learn. But willful ignorance? That is a horse of an entirely different color. That is a level of obstinance that says, "I don't care what you say, the truth is only what I know it to be."

Reading the tweets of a former plantation museum tour guide brought a tear to my eye. I used to believe that I understood why racism existed. On some levels, I guess that I do. Some people need to hold on to their feelings of superiority at any cost. However, as a person who is a part of the disadvantaged class, I find myself wondering "why is this happening?" far too often now. What exactly is it about black people in America that makes us so hated, so vilified, so dangerous to so many people? Especially to people who do not even know much about us at all?


Emanuel9 | Yes, We Rise
The tragedy of their deaths will haunt this nation
for many years. 


I've been particularly drawn to questioning the emotional and mental gymnastics that it seems a lot of people utilize to protect and absolve white people from the horrendous acts that have been and are leveled against people of color. Why are so many people absolutely determined to protect white people at all costs, to the point of working really hard to make white people the victims even when they are the perpetrators of crimes against black people? How is this possible?

Someone far brighter than myself probably has answered these questions and can explain this mindset. I don't know. All I know is that these tweets... brought a tear to my eye.

I am so very exhausted with being the enemy of people I don't know because of my skin and my heritage. I'm not sure what it will take to move us beyond this. I am sure that I am exhausted with trying to convince others of my humanity.

**Nic McLean**
@Nic_McLean


Please read this Vox article: What I Learned From Leading Tours About Slavery On A Plantation

1 comment:

  1. You are right, sometimes we enter into a cycle of denial that does not help at all at the moment to work in our dreams. Here is some more on how to overcome it for anyone interested: Obstacles when pursuing your dreams

    ReplyDelete