Monday, June 8, 2015

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

Don’t Drink The Kool-Aid: How YouTube Made My Pockets Empty

  







Don’t ask me why this just dawned on me a couple of months ago, but YouTube is a GREAT advertiser, amazing even. I am an avid watcher of YouTube, and I subscribe to a few channels, mostly makeup and wigs, but I do also watch a couple of YT (YouTube) shows like The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, Here is the creator’s Issa Rae YT channel,

In recent years I did not watch YT as much because I was out of work. I finally figured out why I stopped watching. I watch YT and I want to BUY, the crap they talk about on there. It is my go to on new beauty products, wigs, etc. I race over to YT and see what my favorite YT person has to say on xyz item. And then at the end of April 2015, I was looking for a new planner. I realized that I needed to write things down and not just have them in my phone. I ran across a YT video from Tiffany, a Makeup Artist who just had a baby, and she was talking about her planner and the matching address book she bought. I sat there like OOOOH YASSS!!! I want one of those. So of course I clicked on the link, found the one I wanted, searched for a coupon and bought it. NOW after that I researched this overpriced planner, and found out that planners and basically scrap-booking in your planner is some new hobby.

   Man these women have stickers and washi tape and all other kinds of cute, girlie things to these planners. The one I bought is just one kind, there are 50-11 out there. Don’t worry I will be doing a blog post on the planner.

But back to YouTube, it is an amazing advertising tool, and I know I am slow to the show, so I know that companies have figured this out, hence sending those who have a lot of follower’s free stuff for them to say they love it and have folks buy because they trust them.

Now normally I don’t buy off of what one person’s says, although I did this time, I figured it was a planner if I didn’t like it I get a new one in 6 months any way. But with African Americans being one of the largest consumer groups out there, I am a bit concerned with how easy we are accessed on a medium we “trust” and use for entertainment. I would strongly suggest that we research before blindly going off and buying the hottest new thing, find out if it is worth the price and worth our time and effort. Also if you are following Youtube “Gurus” who just LOVE everything free they receive, maybe you should question their love or unsubscribe.

I love Youtube and it has a WEALTH of information, but I was a bit disturbed when I realized how easy it was for me to see something and buy it. How advertisements and what a “Guru” says on Youtube can be taken as gospel.

Black Folks WE GOTS TA BE MO CAREFUL!!!


Yes that statement was hood, but it is true. We are very quick to fall for the okie doke, we need to be smarter with our buying power, and that includes me as well.

So next time you are watching something funny on YT like Funk Dineva *LOVE HIM OMG, but he is not for the faint of heart* pay attention if it is a long winded commercial for the hottest new product.

Don’t Drink the Kool Aid….

BTW what are some of your favorite YouTube Channels?



Until Next Time

Love Peace and all Things Pretty



~The Diva V~



0 comments:

Post a Comment