Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

Crabs in a barrell....







There is a "crabs in the barrel" mentality when it comes to African Americans. I have learned this as I got older. I have never seen in all my life a people that celebrate the demise of another. I have viewed other cultures who thrive when they work together as a unit. Many races have worked together for the success of their family or friends in this society. I don't know how many times I have seen several foreigners live together when they arrive in this country in order to save to help an additional family member get here and be successful. How many of us won't even let our own relative stay for more than three days? What will it take for us to come together as one?

According to "Crab Mentality is Universal"(2010) This term is broadly associated with short-sighted, non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-term, constructive mentality. It is also often used colloquially in reference to individuals or communities attempting to improve their socioeconomic situations, but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their success. We need to do better in uplifting each other to greatness. 

I had an experience in a restaurant recently and a group of ladies who would be considered upper class came to eat at a Southern and New Orleans cuisine restaurant. They are black owned and serve NY Strip Steak and she mentioned that she wanted a beef dish. Her friend remarked don't you dare by steak in a soul food restaurant, and I had to say to her that this restaurant uses top quality cut meats just like other restaurants. She assumed because they were black owned that the food would not be as high quality. That is the thinking we need to change, same with how we look upon other people's success. 

I took on a job as a waitress because I actually enjoy servicing people and I work for a wonderful place. While serving some African American customers they assumed that this was all I did and treated me like I was beneath them. It was mentioned by the owner why I took the job because I am actually assisting the owner and she told them the schools I graduated from, and the fact that I also teach school as well and their attitude changed changed. 

Why couldn't I have just been someone who was treated well because I had good service? Why can't I be doing well because I wait tables? It's all a perception. When we begin to change our thinking and our ways and educate ourselves about others we will begin to join together for the success of all.

** Pretty Zeta **

0 comments:

Post a Comment