Monday, January 5, 2015

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

Why Change Is Hard



Recently, my fellow bloggers Goal D Locs and JamesGirl wrote very thought provoking pieces that made me open my eyes and really look at some of my "ways" that were really holding me back. They talked about the stuff that we hold on to and how they keep us from moving on or progressing. If you get a chance, I encourage you to read their posts for yourself Changed Thinking Changes Things and What's In Your Closet . Beyond being real and honest, they were both able to see the need for change. Which got me to thinking...WHY IS CHANGE SO HARD?

Every week, I type words that are supposed to inspire and motivate. Sometimes, they hit the mark and I hear from people about how "on point" or helpful my words have been. I pray that all of my words bless someone, but truth be told, most of them are written for me. Despite all of my best efforts and courageous attempts, I too am a perpetual work in progress. My dear friend @TraciAkins used to say all the time something to the effect of "please be patient, I'm still a work in progress." As much as I have written and talked about mindset shifts, proactive thinking, believing in impossible, blah, blah, blah...I have to admit, this CHANGE can throw me for a loop sometimes. In my efforts to be a new and improved me, I have to undo years of negative thinking and reverse ingrained bad habits.  

I struggle to find opportunity and to look past impossibility. 6 out of 10 times, negative comes to mind, before positive. My lips still fly open before, my mind and heart have a chance to stop them. But, I am getting better. After reading the words of my fellow bloggers, I did a little mental inventory and realized, I've come A LONG WAY from where I was. I've been depressed. I've felt alone. I've cut myself off from everyone and sat in the darkness. I've contemplated disappearing from the world. But, I don't anymore. I've done alot of soul searching and praying. I've read tons of books and watched a lifetime of videos and shows and somewhere along the way, I found hope again. I learned how to encourage myself and use what I have to get what I need. 

Change takes work. It requires that we dig up all the deep rooted hurt and anger, making us experience the pain a second time so that we really learn the lesson. It makes us revisit swinging doors and close them for good. Change makes us look in the mirror and own what we see. I think Change is hard, because if it were easy, we wouldn't make it permanent. Change pushes us past the limits that we and others have put in place. When we commit to change, we commit to investing in and improving ourselves. It certainly isn't fun, but it is sooooo worth it. I like the person I am becoming, she feels like a good fit. I don't like going backwards, so like the adinkra symbol, Sankofa, I'm learning from my past, so as not to repeat it. I am embracing my CHANGE.

If CHANGE is on your horizon, embrace it....and remember, I am always here for you. 


Peace, Joy & Love,
Michelle H.
@DivaOnPurpose

0 comments:

Post a Comment