Monday, December 1, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

You Have Everything You Need



On a recent trip home, my mother asked me to help her prepare a big family meal. I'm always reluctant to cook for more than one or two people, especially if my mother's cooking is involved. She is a phenomenal cook and in my honest opinion, nothing I can do remotely compares to her. As I broke out in immediate protest, she stopped me with a quick and complete "everything you need is here."

Damn... she got me again.

With no more excuses, I acquiesced and proceeded to prepare the dishes she requested.

"Everything you need is here."

I cannot tell you how many times I've heard those words come out of my mothers mouth. Almost every "I can't" in my life has been met with "yes you can" and some version of "Everything you need is here." Most often it was math homework related. For whatever reason, I had a mental block that would not allow me to believe that I could do math, but my mom (the woman who managed the checkbook for a multi-million dollar corporation), assured me I could with a pluck on my head and a declaration that "everything is in there."

Same with driving...moving to a new city...buying my condo, etc. No matter the situation, she always found a way to let me know that whatever I needed to solve the problem was within me, if I just looked deep enough.

I knew the math formulas, I knew how to get home by the interstate, I could do the job, I could afford the house and I am actually a pretty good cook in my own right.

Sometimes we forget or need to be reminded to remember that there is more to us than what we allow ourselves to believe. Often times, we allow insecurity, doubt, fear, time and past experience to influence our actions in the wrong way. They become the boundaries that keep us from growing, dreaming and reaching.

We know more than we admit to and we have more than enough resources and information at our disposal to do most anything we want to do. We just have to take the limits off and remember that "Everything we need is here (within each of us!)".


Peace, Joy & Love,
Michelle H.

0 comments:

Post a Comment