Monday, December 8, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

Change starts with me


Change Starts With Me | Yes, We Rise


I am literally still in a state of shock and disbelief, for most of the last two weeks, I’ve been searching my brain and heart, trying to figure out…WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? I don’t march, although I may have to start. I had a platform to say something, but my words got lost. I have a checkbook, but I cant tell who needs it most or will use it best. I want to do so much, but I can't figure out where to start.

Having worked for a disaster relief organization and a news outlet – I’ve seen A LOT. I’ve literally been inside of a tornado… Stood at the foot of the smoldering wreckage of World Trade Center Towers…Watched a mother scream as her child breathed his last breath in the street after being shot by his brother… Seen klansmen pretend to be INS agents and pull sleeping men from their beds load them up in a truck and take them away from their families. Each of those times, I knew what to do… I leaned on my knowledge, my skills and my responsibility.

I learned a long time ago that, my neat, well manicured world is not reflective of our AMERICA. OUR AMERICA is flawed…damaged…ugly and definitely in need of healing and repair. We have some ugly truths to face and right now, the mere thought of what has unfolded, leaves me shaking my head and pinching back tears. My only thought has been…I don’t know what to do…what to say. I dare not say anything to anyone, unless I can contribute something positive to the environment. Thus, I’ve remained uncharacteristically silent. Until a friend shared with me a message he shared with some leaders recently, an excerpt is below: 


A CURIOUS STOP (by Therman Evans, Jr.)

“…I was stopped curiously YESTERDAY (I’m still pissed) by a police officer who only backed away when I told him I was an attorney and articulated my boundary of rights and his duty better than he could. But what if I said nothing? How would the situation have escalated? Too many don’t have that chance or the voice to protect or defend themselves. Death has become the new normal when fear abounds and training is inadequate.

Like many of you, I have a son who I tuck in and kiss every night and hold his hand on the way to school. As a black father, there is always a parallel line of teaching. I have to prepare him with the skills to succeed in life but also with the skills to literally survive in a troubled world.

Angela Davis has this great quote: “I’m no longer accepting the things I can’t change…I’m changing the things I cannot accept.” This is what we preach and practice …. And I think this is the only way we can put an end to systemic and unequal application of injustice wherever it is….

My encounter yesterday reignited my resolve to do something every day to be the change that I think we all want to see….”



For me…its really as simple as Therman and Ms. Angela Davis have expressed. I'm going to work to change the things I cannot except, by doing something EVERYDAY to be the change I think I want to see. I don’t know what that looks like...but today it starts with me opening my mouth, making my self accountable to my brothers and sisters. Tomorrow, it might be a check…or a march…rest assured it will be something. Stay tuned….

Peace, Joy & Love, 

Michelle H. 
@DivaOnPurpose


0 comments:

Post a Comment