Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

I've Got Music On My Mind





Peace Fam!

Wow, coming off the heels of DJing 3 HBCU family reunions…oops, I mean Homecomings (LOL), I’ve only got one thing to say…

I Love Music!! And I’ve Got Music On My Mind!!


For the past few weeks, I’ve DJed homecoming parties in Baltimore (Morgan State), Bowie (Bowie State), and Greensboro (NC A&T). I loved every minute because I got a chance to play some GOOD music that I haven’t played in a while.

I played Disco, Funk, Soul, Hip-Hop, House music and more.

I got to play 12” Disco Classics like GQ (“Disco Nights”), Anita Ward (“Ring My Bell”), Thelma Houston (“Don’t Leave Me This Way”)…

Funk Classics like Ohio Players (“Ecstasy”), George Clinton (“Flashlight”)…

Soul Classics like Aretha Franklin (“Rock Steady”), Chaka Khan (“Ain’t Nobody”)…

House Classics like Jungle Brothers (“Girl I’ll House You”), Alyus (“Follow Me”)… and a plethora of 80s and 90s Hip-Hop Gems like Big Daddy Kane (“Ain’t No Half Steppin’”), Biggie (“One More Chance” and “Juicy”), Brand Nubian (“Don’t Let It Go To Your Head” and “Slow Down”) …

Basically, I was in heaven.


I loved the experience like a fat kid loves cat because I didn’t have anyone come to the DJ booth asking me to play some “New Music”. No disrespect to the New School; but, the HBCU Alumni at all of the events I DJed were not waiting to hear Bobby Shmurda or Ray Sremmurd; but, they were most definitely fiending for Eric B. and Rakim, and Run-DMC!

Old school vs New School? 


Seriously, in my very humble opinion, the Old School Rules when compared to the New School…especially when it comes to the world of Hip-Hop! In my mind, there’s absolutely no comparison, not only in the lyricism and the knowledge that was kicked in many of the songs from the 80s and 90s but also in the creative use of Sampling. Dammit, I miss the Samples and Break Beats that used to be a MUST in Hip-Hop. Today’s ubiquitous sound in this music genre lacks the depth and substance that the Old School had.

Don’t get it twisted. There’s a lot of great music out there today. However, as I played 3 straight Old School parties over 2 weeks, there’s nothing like that old school vibe, in my opinion. It’s just infectious. It takes you back to a time when “things were good”! For me and many of my college buddies from Morgan State, it took us back to our college years.






For me, my years at Morgan were the BEST 4 years of my life. Music from back then often makes me reflect on hearing my bredren DJ Oji and DJ Pope rock some hot parties in the ballroom of McKeldin Center at MSU. Ahhhhhh…those were the days. Hearing music played from ’87-’91 always makes me reminisce upon some damn good memories. So, though I was on my grind for the past few weeks, the music I played uplifted my spirits. It uplifted my soul; and, I Give Thanks for that!

So, I want you to do something folks. I want to hear your comments on what your favorite CLASSIC party jams are…songs that would make you get on the floor and get the party started. You know it only takes the ONE song to make one person, then another, then another get on the dance floor. When that happens, a good DJ (like moi…*insert cheesy grin*) will do his best to keep you on the floor. As you name some hits, I’m going to compile a list and rock out at my next Old School party with the music the My Peeps want to hear. I’ll let you know when I’m in a city near YOU. I hope to see you there!


One Love! 
 Markie B aka DJ Scientific

0 comments:

Post a Comment