Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Published 1:19 PM by with 0 comment

Homework Debate

The Homework Debate | Yes, We Rise (education, homework, students, parenting, personal development)


As a teacher this has been a struggle of mine for years. As a parent it has been a slight burden, especially when I know it is just busy work. I understand, as a teacher, that homework is supposed to reinforce what the students have learned during the day or for the week. I am, however, one who feels that too much of it does not help the student in some cases; and it sometimes leads to copying and lack of effort on the part of the student. There have been various studies that have shown that there is no direct correlation between homework and student achievement.

There are many nights as a parent that I have stayed up for hours trying to complete a science project, math problems, and a report all due the next day. How many times has your student actually brought something that had a deadline that was pushed out? Most times our darling babies bring us things that are due the next day or a two days after you get it. Now one could argue that it helps to teach the children responsibility; but does it really?

I do agree that in the grades of K-8 that some of the homework helps to refine the skills that are taught in class that day. What if I am a student who did not understand it in class? Coming home and completing something I did not get is not going to do anything but make me more frustrated and not complete the assignment. Grading wise, I can tell you that students know that homework does not add up to a lot of points missed in grades. They usually try to get higher grades on tests which can level out any homework that was not completed.

Some teachers believe that the more homework that is given, the better they will do on standardized testing. This has not been proven in any way. There is a school in Tucson, Arizona called The Kino School, it is a non profit K-12 school and they have a no homework policy across all grades. They feel that the purpose of the policy is make sure learning remains a joy for students, not a second shift of work that impedes social time and creative activity.

I am a teacher who gives no more than two assignments a week; and sometimes I give no homework all week. I like to be able to evaluate the progress of my students in the classroom and through formative and summative assessments. This can truly help me to gauge what my students don't know. Fortunately many parents are relieved with my policy because it allows them to not be bogged down with busy work as I often heard them call it.

Whatever your stance on this issue, just know hours worth of homework does not make a great student. Studying, learning, and growing as a well-rounded student does.



Until the Next


PrettyZeta






0 comments:

Post a Comment