Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Published 10:07 AM by with 4 comments

Here Let Me Get That For You

Do you fix his plate? | Yes, We Rise


Do you fix his plate? 

2 years ago I had a conversation with one of my many little sisters. (I have no blood sisters but a few adopted ones) She said... "I see why I don’t have a man; I never think to fix him a plate"…. Er?!

I have been with my fiancĂ© for a while and when we go out somewhere and there is a buffet type deal with the food I will fix him a plate, it’s almost 2nd nature at this point.

I do it without thinking. I will also do it if I am out with a male friend or an older male member of my family.

Now I could say I was raised this way… But actually I was not.  I remember having a similar conversation with my mother about how I could NEVER fix a plate of food for a man that had two perfectly good hands. This was a conversation I had in my teens and late 20′s with my mom. So now, all I can do is sit back and laugh at myself on this one.

My fiancĂ© has fixed a plate for me more than a few times so it’s not a one-sided deal. I have no idea when this change happen in me where I fix a plate of food. Without thinking about it, it has become part of my routine.

I find it interesting that there are those women who refuse to fix their man a plate, or who don't even know how to cook (that’s a whole other blog post).

While we are in a modern age, I still hold some traditions near and dear. This would be one of them. It’s a small simple gesture that is typically appreciated by most men.

So Divas… Do you fix your man a plate? Or would you rather chew glass than fix him anything?


What Say you?

‘Til we meet again…..

Love Peace and All Things Pretty
~The Diva V~

4 comments:

  1. I always find it so weird that folks make such a big deal out of this. I want to fix a plate for my girl, or anyone else I do it. If someone fixes a plate for me, i appreciate it. I have seen fights break out because one woman fixed a plate for another woman's man. I think i prefer to fix my own plate because my mood and hunger may vary and i know what i want. It get it, but i don't need it. Same for cooking. It's a very nice gesture, but it isn't a prerequisite. I think the women who insist on doing it are as weird as the ones that insist on not doing it. It should just be a voluntary act with no reward or stigma. JMHO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I never thought too much about. I have always been in relationships where this was reciprocal, and depended on the circumstances. However, as a child raised in a household of southern parents, I grew up watching my Mom fix my Dads plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family is southern, so i grew up watching women fixing men's plates all around me. But it was something that my mother would normally joke about not doing for my father. I've dated men in the past who would have a fit if I didn't fix their plates... but the man I'm with now, could care less. He will fix a plate for me in a minute and think nothing of it.

    ReplyDelete