Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

About Thanksgiving


About Thanksgiving | Yes, We Rise

About Thanksgiving


There have been many things that we have been taught about Thanksgiving and how many people celebrate. I've been told, since I was a little girl, that the Pilgrims came to Plymouth Rock and the Indians welcomed them and they had a wonderful dinner.

According to History.com
“In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn’t until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November.” 

Today, however, nearly 90 percent of Americans eat the bird—whether roasted, baked or deep fried. Other traditional foods include stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potato pie, macaroni and cheese, pumpkin pie and several other goodies. Volunteering is a common Thanksgiving Day activity, and many communities often hold food drives and host free dinners for the less fortunate. Some other traditions include football, family, and friends. Watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade and sitting with my family, placing the finishing touches on dinner are some of the things I enjoy.

Reflections and traditions


I reflected about the significance of this day; is it for us to stuff our faces and sleep? I chose to make it a day of reflection of things I am truly thankful for. I have a tradition I follow. Before my family eats, we all go around and say what we are thankful for. It helps to place in perspective what I have.

As you celebrate this holiday and the upcoming holiday season, make sure you look upon the blessings you have and not what could be or regrets. Once you have done that then you will honor the “thanks” in the holiday.


Until the Next
PrettyZeta

0 comments:

Post a Comment