Thursday, October 16, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

Warped Reality



While watching the news I have continued to realize that most of the information that is shared over the Internet is seemingly meritless when compared to the decisions that affect us in real life. I see that the newest disease du jour Ebola-- while deadly and real, has been blown completely out of proportion by the powers that be.

What I worry about


Yes, you have a disease that has caused a fatality in the United States; and there have been several more infections. However, I have an hierarchy of worry. (Somewhat akin to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and Ebola is somewhere south of SARS -- remember that)

I recently read a report that stated that all of my male relatives are 21 times more likely to be shot by Law enforcement. I have to worry about that. I have to worry. I have a higher likelihood of being either “offed” by someone that may look like me or by someone that is supposed to protect me. I have always tried to be wary of sticky situations, but sometimes they are unavoidable.

Things happen 


The other evening my family went to visit some relatives. Using GPS, we ended up on the wrong street and went to a house with the same number. We didn’t realize our mistake until after we rang the door bell. (This happened in Central Florida.)

I thought about all of the SYG (stand your ground) incidents that have occurred over the last 24 months. I am a Black man with my Black son ringing a doorbell at 10:00pm. The nightlights were off, so I used the flashlight app on the cell. When I rang the Doorbell twice an older White couple peeked through the window. My Wife apologized and I backed away from their door.

I haven’t been that scared in a while.

I thought what would have happened if we would have pulled up to the “wrong” house? Some people are ready for a event – they have dry runs and wait for “it” to happen. That incident scared me more than Ebola, SARS, H1N1 & AIDS. At least I know that those diseases are just that... viruses. They don’t play favorites. They are not racist, sexist, classist, xenophobic or zealots.

The media portrayal of those most affected by Ebola shows the bias. The current fatality was ignored by the hospital; even after he told them that he was from West Africa and had a 103-degree fever. They show Africa stock footage in some cases and then show Glittering Western cities. Others received treatment that he didn’t receive. It gives one time to pause.

I worry about that (medical treatment given to minorities) more than I worry about some of the actual diseases. Is it rational? I used to think that I was conspiracy theorist when I was younger. But I have realized that I have been living conspiracy fact, for a long time. I’m more wary, less unconcerned. I kiss my sons and worry about all the young men that I see; even if they are oblivious to it. It is the way of the world.


Read: Black teenagers 21 more times likely to be shot by police than white, study finds


Read: The long and ugly tradition of treating Africa as a dirty, diseased place


Read: Does "stand your ground" encourage shootings?


** Dr. Headley **




0 comments:

Post a Comment