Friday, October 31, 2014

Published 10:30 AM by with 0 comment

HBCU Love



Last weekend we all ascended upon my HBCU – it is the greatest . . . a credible magazine has called it the number one HBCU in America. We are proud. We are glad. We showed it at our homecoming. Our homecoming has been affectionately known as #GHOE Greatest Homecoming On Earth. This weekend, for several reasons, I finally got it. 

It doesn't matter that a magazine is touting that. It doesn't matter that we had incredible enrollment, or that our chancellor actually WENT to A&T . . . or that several people in key positions attended the school, too. IT doesn't matter that one of our State Senators/Representatives, received her PhD, or that Jessie Jackson pledged Omega there, or that Ron McNair attended (so did Jessie Jr) . . . our great alum extend beyond the stars -- and are limitless. Usually they wear their pride in their work; their excellence.

Aggies love our school. Aggies love each other - even if we didn't get along in school, GHOE allows us to fellowship that weekend in love.

I rarely invite people to GHOE. It is too troubling for a new person to navigate. My friends and I have our own routine; our own nuances. We love it – and manage it according to our mood and our financial ability. This year, a new person joined us. We regretted it almost immediately. The new person simply didn’t understand our flow. WE made her understand. She never attended an HBCU, so she wanted to attend the game to see the bands. We paid $35 to enter the game – for 35 minutes. Due to her lateness, we arrived at the middle of the second quarter. We watched the bands and left to tail gate. 

 

The tailgate was extravagant. Several had DJs, others had so much likka no one could drink it all, and others offered more food than one could ever eat in a whole weekend, let alone the 10 hours on the yard. As we went from tailgate to tailgate, we noticed so many things, so many people. The new person with us didn't eat. She recalled us talking about fried fish from the food trucks - and WAITED for that. She walked past all the FREE food and got mad when we didn't purchase it. She thought we were going to go from food truck to food truck - NOT! She was indifferent when we stopped to listen to authentic go-go music from a DC band (flown in for GHOE) . . . She didn't understand our hour long conversation with one group and 2 second "Hi" with another. Nor could she understand why this ONE guy gave me complete and constant hell at every turn. . . and my giggles like a 12 year old girl. She was confused, and questioned everything. EVERYTHING! Her focus was food; ours friendship and fellowship.

It was great. The love was overwhelming, the flow was great. My cousin, whom I hadn’t seen smile in 4 months, was having a great time. My pride expanded. Walking the yard, we saw improvements. I'd also attended WSSU's homecoming the week before - it was a cookout in comparison. Then I heard others were claiming to have a GHOE, too. They don't. One institution calls their homecoming a NOHOE . . . what? While another calls their homecoming TBHP - or something like that. It sounds like a condition needing medicine. There is only one GHOE. One.

We won the game, too.

The plots were packed.

The Omegas were stepping.

The Deltas were singing.

Taking it all in, the love, the fellowship, the culture - I wondered if it would always be this way. . . (only a nerd thinks of this DURING the event)

As I looked around, I realized that I had seen several white people here, too. They were wearing my para – A&T shirts, pants, and proudly displaying their Aggie Pride, too. I didn’t like it. A fellow alum explained that he did – and rejoiced in it. He said that they have bought into the Aggie concept. I am leery. I have probably written about this before. . .

They are priming the institution to have a white president. They are allowing the student population to become more diverse – white, Asian, African . . . I am bothered by the need or desire of white people to enter. Once they enter, once they lead or take over, it destroys what we have built. I know I will catch flack for this . . . but I need for the alum to keep a keen eye for the transition of leadership. I don’t even want white people to hold key positions in OUR institutions. Sad, right?

But all too often, we give away our precious things. A&T is precious to me. I want black folk to send their kids – it is a world class institution that will prepare them for the future – anywhere – I want alum to recognize that because it is so great, so wonderful that “they” are eyeing it to see how they can take it. It becomes a piece mill effect. I want all of us to care about our institutions.

Selfishly, I want #GHOE to last forever.



** Goal D Locs **



0 comments:

Post a Comment