Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 1 comment

Do You Really Know?


Do You Really Know? 

About Breast Cancer Awareness



As I celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness month, I look at several campaigns in support of this great cause. From celebrities, athletes, schools, and everyone in between. I often wonder how much do people really know the stress of what this disease does to people.

I just read a Facebook post today that says what the hell is all the pink for anyway, you get cancer you still die. Where does the money go anyway?

As I was celebrating Dig Pink for my particular school, I wore my pink shirt and my pink ribbon bow in my hair. I often reflect on what this month means to me. Most of the students I spoke to had someone who was close to them affected by the horrible disease and knew the significance of the pink and why we raise money. Most of them just did it because their coach told them to wear pink, or their favorite athlete or idol does so it must be cool.

According to Susan G. Komen website, The first known use of a pink ribbon in connection with breast cancer awareness was in the fall of 1991, when the Susan G. Komen Foundation handed out pink ribbons to participants in its New York City race for breast cancer survivors.

The pink ribbon was adopted as the official symbol of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month the next year, in 1992. The pink ribbon was derived from the popular red ribbon for AIDS awareness. Alexandra Penney, the editor-in-chief of the women's health magazine Self, and breast cancer survivor Evelyn Lauder, the senior corporate vice president at the cosmetics company Estée Lauder created a ribbon for the cosmetics giant to distribute in stores in New York City.

Estée Lauder and Self initially approached Charlotte Haley, who had begun a peach-colored ribbon campaign to press the National Cancer Institute to increase its budget for cancer prevention research. Haley refused to be part of what she felt was a commercial effort, so Estée Lauder and Self changed the color of their ribbon to light pink in 2005, to circumvent Haley's efforts to stop them.


A pink and blue ribbon is sometimes used to symbolize breast cancer in men, which is relatively rare. The pink and blue ribbon was designed in 1996 by Nancy Nick, president and founder of the John W. Nick Foundation to bring awareness that "Men Get Breast Cancer Too!

Even after reading the history I had to look at what it meant to me. To me it means the sleepless nights with my mother who had to undergo three lumpectomies because she had that many lumps in her breasts. The phone calls from the doctor to tell us whether it was cancerous or not. The crying and relief when she was given a clean bill of health after treatment. The numerous friends that I personally know who have gone through the radiation, the loss of breasts, the loss of hair, the asking God why, the nausea, the loss of appetite, the self-doubt, the hopelessness, and the stares of pity.

One thing I have learned about the survivors and also the people who are still dealing, or even the ones who have lost their lives. They damn sure did not go out without a fight in either case..

My only question to you is DO YOU REALLY KNOW?


**PrettyZeta**

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about scarves but my main drawback is that I don't like ANYTHING on my neck -LOL Hence why I don't wear turtlenecks -LOL

    ReplyDelete