Thursday, September 18, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 9 comments

The Price of Confusion: Is corporal punishment acceptable?

The Price of Confusion: Is corporal punishment acceptable? | Yes, We Rise
If the events of the past month serve any purpose; it shows us that our perspective realities are completely different. I found it interesting that small variations in some of my friends’ life experiences completely change our reactions and rationale towards certain actions & their consequences.

A FBF (Facebook friend) pointed out the fact many of us seem to wax nostalgic about corporal punishment when for some of us it was a pretty traumatic experience. It was also interesting to hear that familiar refrain from some that they in turn heard from their parent or guardian: “I beat you so that police won’t have to.”

Does physical punishment protect our kids from danger?


The Price of Confusion: Is corporal punishment acceptable? | Yes, We Rise
Trayvon Martin
In light of recent events it would not have mattered whether we were physically disciplined or not- if a uninformed foolish person decides to lie to the police or if you encounter an over-aggressive officer or neighborhood watch volunteer, you can end up on a T-shirt. I won’t digress any further (maybe later).

As in all things there are two very different sides and there are people that are stuck in the periphery. Yes, excessive and needless corporeal punishment is dangerous; beating your child because they are available to be beaten isn’t a logical rationale, nor is a needless verbal abuse. Conversely, allowing your child to do whatever they want to do, without fear of consequences is equally as dangerous. There are shades of gray. I would rather pop my son on the behind, after telling him not to touch the hot iron, stove or outlet, than to end up in the ER with a hurt child.

Corporal punishment on the decline 


The Price of Confusion: Is corporal punishment acceptable? | Yes, We Rise
Adrian Peterson
The fact that corporal punishment is on the decline, but yet 19 states still allow it (majority in the South) is the height of irony. Respect, at its core, has always had a small measure of fear. Whether it is animals, tools, weapons or people; human’s innate fear of the unknown has made them wary of the unknown. One of the first experiences we have with the pain/pleasure principle (changing minds) is through our parents (guardians). Usually physical punishment is a last resort used to avoid a more painfully experience (e.g. the hot iron) but as in all things it can be, and has been misused.

You have seen various athletes come out on both sides of the issue. Their personal experiences contributed to the various viewpoints. It is a sticky issue but a slippery slope. I never agreed with the use of paddling in schools, I don’t want other people touching my child. Your rational for “paddling” my child and what I may or may not do are two different things. I always have thoughts of the chattel slavery system, when it comes to school paddling. What are odds of “school administrator, who may or maybe not be under stress, getting the paddle quota correct?

I think that a society is best measured in the way that they deal with change i.e. the fact that many feel that physical discipline shouldn’t be used on a certain segment of society, under certain conditions. Going back to my earlier point, that feeling (altruism) seemingly doesn’t extend to some members of our population after a certain age. That is the conundrum that continues to hound this country, If they ever truly think that they will gain true enlightenment they will help themselves.





Links for more information:


http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/corporal-punishment-widespread-declining-25484901

http://www.businessinsider.com/19-states-still-allow-corporal-punishment-2014-3

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/charles-barkley-adrian-peterson-video-ray-rice-cbs-nfl-today

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/28/would-you-record-yourself-spanking-your-kids/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/cris-carter-child-abuse-adrian-peterson_n_5820430.html

http://changingminds.org/disciplines/psychoanalysis/concepts/pleasure_pain.htm



**Dr. Headley**





9 comments:

  1. Yes, when used responsibly, I think it's acceptable within our communities, as it is more often than not, the tool our parents and other elders used to discipline us. I believe corporal punishment can be a problem when it is used by irresponsible people as a tool to "babysit" or control a child, and the child ends up, hurt, maimed or dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Tonya!! I like this post because I almost did the same thing that you did - allow misconceptions about HBCUs to dissuade me from choosing to attend one. I had brochures from the likes of Brown, Princeton, and other Ivy League schools Because I was told they were "the best". I also had brochures from several HBCUs.

    One thing that made me reconsider attending an HBCU was the fact that my high school was about 99% Black. I had a great HS experience. Over the years from about 6th grade through 12th grade, I had heard about some not so pleasant experiences of Black students at majority White schools. Since I'm not a fan of going to places where I'm not welcome AND mostly since Morgan State University gave me a full, 4-year academic scholarship, I opted to go to an HBCU.

    I love the decision that I made!! I received 2 degrees (BS in Physics and a BS in Engineering Physics) in 4 years. For the past 23+ years, I've been working as an engineer at the world's premiere space agency. I work beside folks who went to schools like M.I.T., Cal Tech, Georgia Tech, Univ. of NC, Duke, Stanford, Purdue, etc.

    To haters of HBCUs, I say that the quality of the school should be judged by how far it takes you in life. My MSU experience has taken me to heights that many men have never gone before....literally! The folks who went to the schools I mentioned KNOW that I work right there with them. So, if I see any type of hateration going on, then I like to quote The God MC Rakim...

    "It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!"



    Peace and Blessings to you!


    Markie B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I let the preconceived notions of others deter me from attending an HBCU (sort of). I still considering going back to school to study business... and attending an HBCU this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know what happen to my other comment but....

    (Sings) TUSKEGEE PRIDE
    OF THE SWIFT GROWING SOUTH

    WE PAY THEE OUR HOMAGE
    TODAY!!!!!

    I am an extremely proud graduated of THEE TUSKEGEE
    UNIVERSITY. I loved my HBCU so much I went
    back in 2003 as an adjunct instructor.

    HBCU’s are a deep source of pride in my heart and I believe
    in our schools and the rich heritage they come from. I will tell anyone going to Tuskegee was the
    best decision I made at the ripe old age of 17.
    It was no cake walk but it shaped and formed me for what life has thrown
    at me since I graduated at 24.

    I would not trade those years for anything.

    Tuskegee is not just my University they are my family…..

    HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TUSKEGEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shae PhDcandidate PrimusSeptember 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM

    I certainly loved my experience at Clark Atlanta University!! I will say that A Different World & School Daze along with the fact that my sister graduated from Xavier in New Orleans shaped my perception & although I have attended PWIs for graduate school, the experience at an HBCU is unmatched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very proud I attended THE HOME OF THE MIGHTY THOROBREDS... KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY!!!! A Different World and School Daze definitely influenced shaped my perception of college, a along with my Dad and older sister attending HBCUs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up on two HBCU campuses, where both of my parents were professors. In attending Clark Atlanta University, I find that my experience was extradionary. Clark Atlanta gave me a sense of pride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article. I was blessed in some ways to have heard a lot of wonderful things about HBCUs growing up. My mom and my godmother were Hampton Pirates. I was raised knowing that Hampton, Howard, Spelman, and Morehouse got the best of the best because predominately white schools passed up on the black students (not throwing shade at any others but that's what my mama taught me). I knew as a child HBCU graduates who were teachers, doctors, crypto-analyst, and computer scientist. However I grew up in the shadow of a wonderful University that wasn't an HBCU. I applied to a couple of HBCUs but also to my first choice and got my acceptance letter to the University of Maryland at College Park the day before Christmas. I enjoyed attending my "white school" with its 5,000 or so black students (a school within a school). We had OMSE which was an office dedicated to counseling, tutoring, and providing cultural enlightenment to the student body. I eventually attended a rich/private school in GW and an HBCU in Southern Univ A&M. All three schools provided a unique experience and different challenges and benefits. I encourage kids to visit a variety of schools and to go to the one that best fits them. Did I make the best choice? I don't know, but I'm not looking back.

    ReplyDelete