Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 3 comments

So You Want To Be Greek....?

So you want to be greek? | Yes, We Rise


The Divine 9: Black Greek Letter Organizations



Now I will say that I am a bit old, in my 40’s and I know that dinosaurs roamed the earth when I was in high school. We didn't have facebook or instagram, twitter, hell we didn't even have the internet. So posting your whole life on facebook, ig, etc is a little odd to me.

Now what does this have to do with joining a Divine 9 organization?

I am getting there

Well when I was going off the college in 1991 I just KNEW I was going to pledge (yes folks pledged back then) this one Divine 9 (it was the Elite 8 back then) sorority. Well sorry to say I am still not a member 20+ years later… But one can still dream right?

When I was a freshman in college we (the other women I knew that wanted to be down with a sorority) knew that you kept what you wanted to join close to the vest, you didn't share with ANY BODY. For fear of what could happen.

So the recent rash of extra wrong posts to IG about Greeks has me a little baffled. About 2 weeks ago there was a picture of a young lady combing two sororities hand signs the Alpha Kappa Alpha pinkie hand sign and the Delta Sigma Theta pyramid hand sign.

The picture had a caption, but it is rumored that she did not post the caption, that she is not a member of either org and aspired to be a member.

Yeah sweetheart, I can pretty much say your aspirations are pretty much toast right now. Well, this morning I see in my timeline a young man, college bound (which is great) say that he has his boots and is ready to be a Nupe (for those who don’t know Nupe is a name used by some members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity) But the boots were gold and had purple laces.

P A U S E


Purple and Gold are the colors of Omega Psi Phi, not Kappa Alpha Psi (their colors are Crimson and Cream) Part of me feels for these two young people, because they have made one of the worse mistakes you can make. And in this digital world that crap follows you where ever you go. But the other part of me is like they need to learn that everything is not a given.

So you want to be greek? | Yes, We Rise
While I had my desire to join xyz sorority they don’t owe me a place on their rolls, they don’t HAVE to make me a member as much as I would like to be one and think I would be an asset. That is life. You don’t get everything you want. Or think you deserve. Membership in the Divine 9 is an honor, not something that is owed to you because you showed up and had a cute smile. It is hard work that is needed for membership not just learning the new stroll…

I could write a whole blog post on membership on fraternal organizations and what it takes to be a member but I will spare y'all today.

But young people I encourage you to seek membership in these amazing organizations, most have been around for over 100 years. However, I implore you to take it seriously.

Just a note I am not a member of AKA or Delta nor Omega or Kappa.

The Divine 9 are the 9 Historically Black Collegiate Fraternities and Sororities they are:

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Founded 1906
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Founded 1908
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Founded 1911
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Founded 1911
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Founded 1913
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Founded 1914     *Congrats to the Sigma on turning 100 this year*
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Founded 1920
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Founded 1922
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Founded 1963


If you want more information on these organizations please google them and see their national websites. Most are working very hard in the community, so I am sure you know a member or three. Lawrence C. Ross, Jr., a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, wrote a comprehensive book about the history of the Diving 9: The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities


So to my 35 and over folks. What do you all think? Do you think these young folks have lost their ever loving minds with some of the stuff they pull trying to join the BGLO?





‘Til Next Time
Love Peace and All Things Pretty
~The Diva V~ 


Resources:
The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities
The Divine Nine and the National Pan-Hellenic Council

3 comments:

  1. Yes ! I don't think either of them are interested in joining for the right reasons..they just think it's cool to belong, but don't understand or appreciate the seriousness of membership. Hopefully someone "pulled their coat" and they were able to retract their posts to the extent possible, learn, and maybe come back later..lol !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw his story on the news. I hope the family is able to play catch up and find true permanent housing with the assistance offered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they and others like them can learn from these mistakes. And if they are granted an oppertunity to join they will be members of the year.

    ReplyDelete