Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

Too late for more education?

Is it too late for more education? | Yes, We Rise

Is it too late?


This is what I used to ask myself when I was going back to get my Master’s Degree. There are so many advertisements for people to get a higher education online or in the classroom. There are many who believe that I am just too far gone to do anything else with education. Who wants someone my age in the classroom with them?

Well I am here to tell you it is never too late for self-improvement through education. I ended up getting my Master’s degree almost 14 years after I left undergrad.

What took me so long? I had self-doubt.

I had entered three different Master’s programs and stopped cold in the middle even though I was at 4.0 level. I was unmotivated and over school in general. It was during those stints in school that my marriage fell apart and I had lost a child, and my mother. This pushed the thought further from my mind.

I then had a friend who spoke to me about a program that would only take 20 months and we would do it together. I am proud to say during this time, I married the love of my life, and he was the one who encouraged me to enroll and continue. There were long sleepless nights, times when I cried, and days when I called my cohort mates and said I am quitting. They as a village encouraged me to finish and with flying colors.

I would encourage anyone who is reading this article, whether it is a high school diploma (GED), community college, or up to getting a doctorate to evaluate what is holding you back. Get your village, whomever that is, to get behind you and be your biggest cheerleaders because you will need that help to make it through when it gets rough.

Even though at this stage in my life I don’t want to pursue a doctorate degree, I am happy that I accomplished the goal of receiving my Master’s. I checked something I wanted to do with myself off my list.

Use this day to look at what direction you want your life to head and find out if it is education that is holding you back from that. If it is...make the decision to move forward...




Until The Next
PrettyZeta


photo credit: andcombust via photopin cc


0 comments:

Post a Comment