Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 13 comments

The Slob-a-fication of America

Yes We Rise| The slob-a-fication of America, Carol Burnett Went with the wind, curtain dress
Courtesy of CBS

While I am a mere 41 years old, I do remember dressing up for things when I was a kid and a teen. I remember when you were to get on a plane you dressed up. Now as kids we were offered some leeway but, it seems now that folks roll out of bed in their pajamas, maybe brush their teeth, and go about their day. Since when did it become O.K. to wear your pj’s outside the house? And it’s not just young people I am seeing doing this, I am seeing more women in their 30′s and 40′s who are doing this. Y’all know better, and it’s is not cute or sexy.

Since when is it acceptable to come to work wrinkled? Or better yet you have on a sweatshirt hoodie at work. Where do they do that at? What happen to a nice suit or even casual slacks and polo? I am sorry a hoodie is unacceptable work attire!!!!

I am all for comfort but can we be comfortable and stylish at the same time?


I see women in hideous fashion, they look like they took Carol Burnett’s skit to heart where she took the drapes in the living room and made a formal dress.

*I LOVE THAT SKIT BTW*

Now it looks like they took the couch covers and made a dress. Shoes are old, run over, need new heels or better yet to be tossed out. Does anyone polish their leather shoes anymore?

I realize that with the recession and the bad economy we have to do more with less but "C’Mon Son" you don’t have to look like you just rolled out of bed, there is no excuse for not being ironed and well put together.

The TV show CBS Sunday Morning did a segment on this few months ago. My senses were assaulted this morning on the train ride to work and it brought this issue back to the forefront of my mind. While I enjoy our new modern times, I do not enjoy the slobs we have turned into in the name of innovation. The work place is even more relaxed on dress. When me wearing a dress to work warrants a “Are you interviewing today?” All I can do is shake my head. For the most part I wear slacks, a nice top and some heeled shoes with hose to work. On Fridays I might wear jeans but usually it’s khaki with a polo top, I am waiting for the warmer weather to wear my dresses and skirts…

*YASS TO THE MAXI DRESS*

So people why are we dressing like slobs? Why is it we can’t seem to dress half way decent? Not even for church, and y’all know at a Black Church you pull out your Sunday’s BEST and it’s a fashion show: killer suit, matching hat, shoes and bag.

Maybe we can baby step back into dressing nice, how about we toss out the clothes that don’t fit and the shoes that are old and run over? How about we polish the shoes that we have so they will look like new? Or repair the shoes we have if they are worth saving?

Let’s go America, let’s look like we are the #1 Country in the World!!! Right now we look like the #1 Slobs in the world.

What say you Divas? Are you up for the challenge?


Til next time...

Love Peace and All Things Pretty

~The Diva V~




13 comments:

  1. I'm smiling, and my heart is happy for THIS and I celebrate you my sistah-friend! Love you and am so proud of you! You INSPIRE ME!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember dressing up to go to restaurants, traveling on bus rides, train rides, going downtown, going to the mall. All of that. Agreed. We've become a little "too casual".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been guilty of being too casual when I run to the store or out to get the mail. But for everything else, I clean up pretty well. Now I've just got to get my makeup game back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been guilty of this too, but I promised myself I am going to step up my game, and dress better, just do not catch me at the grocery store lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. We won't discuss how my grandmother would make me wear gloves on Sunday if we were going downtown Chicago lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was very inspirational and validating. My goal is always to "become" the best person I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful post!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Jonelle. :) I really appreciate that. I have the same goal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always been guilty of just throwing on anything to go out. I have to be more conscious of that. It is just so easy sometimes to be comfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job , well said. I appreciate the woman you have become.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Leslie. That is an awesome compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you sis!! It is a love thang for me. Truly. I'm working harder on this blog than on the one I write alone. But its worth it. The writers are simply amazing. I could not be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much sis! Love you. Thank you for supporting me.

    ReplyDelete