Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Published 9:30 AM by with 0 comment

LV Say What?!


Seems as if another upscale designer is being slapped with a discrimination lawsuit, Louis Vuitton is the latest. According to Black Voices on Huffington Post, sales associate, Oliver Koffi, is suing for racial discrimination and harassment after overhearing his boss make racially insensitive comments towards black people. According to The Huffington Post, Koffi worked at London’s Selfridge store. The manger no longer works for the luxury brand, and Louis Vuitton stated they dealt with the issue and have a zero tolerance policy for this kind of behavior.

That is the basic info on the article and the issue. This was posted on Facebook Tuesday night and I saw several posts saying we should boycott Louis Vuitton, and to give away your LV items, etc. That got me to thinking about a few things. It made me remember when I worked at a Coach store in Chicago, Il, shortly after graduating from college. And how some of the employees would only follow the black customers around, I could not take it anymore and quit. Yet I am still an avid collector of Coach bags and accessories.

While Black folks and other minorities are consumers of high end luxury bands such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc. do they really market to us? While I am disheartened to hear that something racist was said aloud in public for people to hear, it does not shock me, which in 2014 is rather sad. I don’t fault necessarily Louis Vuitton for the extremely poor judgment on the part of the manager who is his own person, but what kind of company culture are they promoting that said individual thought it was ok to voice such hatred out loud in the work place? I seriously doubt a “boycott” of the LV brand will make that great of a dent in their pockets unless you can get major folks with deep pockets to join in. The average person is not buying REAL Louis Vuitton’s every month let alone every fashion season. They are a luxury item.

I am not quite sure how to deal with the racial overtones of such brands like LV, Gucci, Chanel, etc. Other than a boycott or possible protest, what are your suggestions for these companies to take Minorities seriously. You know just as I do, black folks are just the beginning. The rest of the brown spectrum will be next.

What say you my Diva’s? Are you tossing your LV’s to the back of the closet? Or will just not purchase any more? And what is your suggestion to this issue of race?

‘Til Next Time
Love, Peace and All Things Pretty
~The Diva V~

0 comments:

Post a Comment