Friday, July 18, 2014

Published 1:51 PM by with 0 comment

How do I handle disappointment? I believe.

Yes, We Rise| How do I handle disappointment? I believe.

How do you handle disappointment? 


Have you ever done everything that you know to do and nothing goes according to plan? Worse than things not working out, your life implodes! Everything that could go wrong does so in extreme fashion. Embarrassing. Humiliating at best.

If you have never found yourself in a situation remotely resembling this, this blog is not for you.

My life has been far from perfect. As a matter of fact, as far back as I can remember, it was met with extreme obstacles, abuse, and many disappointments.  I, too, have been far from perfect. However, I did not believe that my lack of perfection justified the situations and circumstances that I have faced.


How does a kid go to school, graduate with a 4.5 and not receive a full ride to an institution of higher education?

How does a person never smoke a cigarette and become diagnosed with cancer?

Why are loving couples unable to conceive while other individuals have abortions as if they were a form of birth control?  

I am talking about disappointment that does not have any logical explanation. If you have not realized it, I am a very inquisitive individual. When I have experienced this level of disappointment, my first response was always why!
Yes, We Rise| How do I handle disappointment? I believe

What did I not do right? How did I miss the mark? I must not have prayed enough. I did not tithe enough. I did not give enough to the needy. I must have…...and the list continues. 

We are all human

I think that it is our natural human nature to have an explanation for everything. It is our innate need to make sense out of nonsense.  Perhaps there are situations that justify such inquisition.  However, I am learning that many times, when we encounter situations such as this, we have been set-up by God to demonstrate (to ourselves) what we are made of.  We are building spiritual muscles, if you will.

Take a trip down memory lane with me. Close your eyes and ask yourself the following questions: When _________(fill in the blank) happened, did I lose my mind? When __________(fill in the blank) happened did I survive?  Did I realize strength that I never knew existed? Did it prepare me for greater opportunities and challenges in my life that had I not experienced ________(fill in the blank), I would never have made it through_____(fill in the blank)?

If you and I are remotely similar, your answer to that last question is a resounding YES! If you are reading this blog, you did not lose your mind and you definitely survived.

Other people have gone through really hard times too


To take it a step further, I believe that it is God’s way of showing us our weakness and inability to operate without Him.  God does not put situations on us, neither does He cause them to occur for our growth.

In the Bible, in the book of Luke 22:31, Jesus explained to Simon Peter that Satan asked God to give all of them up so that he could sift them as wheat….Jesus prayed (especially for Peter) that his faith would not fail.

In the book of Job 2:3-4, The Lord asked Satan if he had considered Job and the Lord allowed him-Satan-access to Job, but not to kill him. There are many other examples in the Bible where God could have prevented harm, struggle, and disappointment, but he chose not to.

You have to work a muscle for it to get stronger


Look at it this way. If you decide that you want to get in shape because want a toned body, you realize that you have to exercise. You have to feel a bit of pain in order to build your muscles. You cannot do the same workout everyday for the next year and expect your body to continue to change. Once your body is conditioned to your workout, you have to increase the intensity of your workouts to achieve a higher level in order to realize the desired results.

It is a similar process for our spiritual lives. We are a spirit, we have a soul, and are housed in a body. Everything that happens in our lives is designed to build the necessary character, spirit, and resolve for our created purpose in life.

Yes, We Rise| How do I handle disappointment? I believe

I am a believer


If you cannot tell, I am a believer.  I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I believe that He died on the cross, rose on the 3rd day, and is seated at the right hand of His Father, the Most High God.  I believe that He is THE way to God (Romans 10:9-10).

While I believe that there is a spiritual principle of sowing and reaping: every seed that we sow, we reap, I also believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each and every one of us.  My belief is based on His word;  that all things work together for my good because I love Him and am called according to His will and purpose (Romans 8:28).

God is a loving God, so much that He gave His only begotten Son that we may have life and that life abundantly (John 3:16).  I also believe that God created man for Him; one of His most prize possessions. Satan has sought from the very beginning to destroy that relationship by creating a mindset that is independent of God.  Being a believer does not mean that we are to have the same personality, dress the same way, have the same speech, or look the same.  God created each of us with unique DNA and with a purpose.

 How I Deal..

When disappointment occurs in my life, I seek God for wisdom and understanding.

Yes, We Rise| How do I handle disappointmnt? I believe.
He has instructed me in His Word to get wisdom (Proverbs 5-9). He has instructed me in Hebrews 12:3 to compare my trials to Jesus so that I do not grow weary or exhausted, losing heart, relaxing, and fainting in my mind. I renew my mind, and sometimes this is second by second so that I do not become conformed to the world’s standard of handling situations (Ephesians 4:23, Romans 12:2). Renewing my mind is seeing the situation as God has said it, not as it appears..

Equally important, I trust in Him! I believe that even when things don’t go according to plan and adverse consequences occur, i.e. losing a job, car breaking down and no money for repairs, a sickness that I cannot handle, the loss of a loved one, violation by a loved one, etc. I believe that He is working it out for my good.

He will give me the skills, talent, ability, and strength that I need to get through the storm. The test will become my testimony. I am honest with God and confess my true emotions about the situation as well as my fears.  I am a naturally independent individual.  I have learned to become independently dependent upon God.  My gifts and talents are nothing without His direction. I have a purpose!

What about you? Are you a believer as well? How do you handle disappointment in your life? Drop me a note in the comments and tell me your ways of handling life's challenges. 

~LoLo~

0 comments:

Post a Comment